Seawater, also known as saltwater, is derived from the oceans and sea. This water contains high amounts of sodium. As a result, the taste of the water becomes salty. Furthermore, if freshwater is compared with seawater, it shows many different characteristics from regular water.
Some of the characteristics of seawater are high electrical conductivity, high salinity, change in taste and color, lower freezing point, high density, lower temperature, and slightly alkaline with a pH range of between 7.5 – 8.4.
Having understood the basic concept of seawater, it is essential to understand whether seawater can be used for human consumption or not?
The answer to this question is yes. Seawater can be used for human consumption and other purposes but only after it is appropriately treated. The treatment of converting seawater or brackish water into potable water so that it is suitable for drinking is known as desalination or desalting of water.
But how can this desalination are done? There are many ways in which the salinity levels of water can be lowered. But the best and the most appropriate way to treat seawater are by using a Reverse Osmosis (RO) water purification system. It is one of the advanced desalination systems globally that is used in 60% of the facilities worldwide. The other methods include distillation, Freezing, Fresh evaporation, Hydrate formation, Electro dialysis. Let us discuss in brief all the ways of minimizing the salinity level of brackish water.
- 1. Reverse Osmosis (RO) water purification system: As noted above, the RO system is one of the most advanced and extensive systems globally that is used by at least 60% of the facilities around the world to treat brackish water.
The process of RO comprises applying pressure to saltwater solution and then forcing it to pass through a semi-permeable membrane. The primary function is to allow the passage of the solvent (water) but not the solute (dissolved salts). When this water is passed through the membrane, the resulting water we get is freshwater; containing significantly lower salinity levels only than what is required for health.
The life of a seawater RO plant can typically range from 6 years to 7 years or May 8 years or longer than that. Also, if the life of the membrane of RO is for a lifetime, then the life of the RO plant increases.
- 2. Distillation: It is another process in which the water is heated at such a temperature that it evaporates and after that gets condenses so that the freshwater is obtained. This desalination procedure is done in various stages by increasing and decreasing the temperature and pressure until freshwater is obtained. The heat that we get from the condensation is also served to distill the water again.
- 3. Freezing: As the name suggests, the water is frozen. Let us understand. This desalination process consists of freezing the seawater in a refrigerated chamber at a lower pressure. The result is that the ice is formed over the brine, which is then separated to obtain freshwater.
- 4. Flash Evaporation: In this process, the water is introduced in dine drops into the chamber at a below saturation level. A few drops out of this vaporizer and then condenses to form desalinated water. This process is repeated until the desired result is achieved.
- 5. Hydrate formation: This is one of the most technologically tricky processes and is not used on a large scale. In this process, the hydrocarbons are added to the saline solution. It forms the complex crystalline hydrates that are separated later to obtain the desalinated water.
- 6. Electro Dialysis: In this process, the electric current is passed through the ion solution. The positive ions migrate towards negative ions and vice versa. Semi-permeable membranes are placed between the electrodes so that only Na+ or Cl+ through each other. The water obtained in the center of the electrolytic cell is desalinated, and freshwater is obtained.
Netsol Water incorporates the latest technology that conforms to the predefined industrial standards. Therefore you don't have to worry about the quality and services. We are one of the leading and cost-effective companies committed to preserving water. We deal in the manufacture of the best Commercial RO plant but are not limited to this only.
Contact us to discuss your requirement and give us a chance to find the best solutions. We can be reached at 9650608473, or feel free to leave your query at firstname.lastname@example.org.