mayor says ok for water shutdown
Sole said the shut down was must to improve the water supply in Nandanvan and Kharabi localities. On his decision to cancel the shutdown for West and South-West Nagpur on April 16 and 17, "Some said there were no immediate gains for it. But the shut down proposed in East and North Nagpur will give immediate results and improve water supply," he said.
Accepting the goof-up on the new Kanhan water pipeline, leader of ruling party Praveen Datke said it was a mistake of the NMC officials. "Zero velocity valves should have been installed before the commissioning of the treatment plant and pipeline. But the water works department delayed the work. The chances of leakages on new pipeline and also damage may not be ruled out following lack of installation of these valves," he said.
Explaining about the importance of works planned during the two-day shut down, Datke said water pressure in Nandanvan and Kharabi localities will improve and also be helpful to commission two new tanks soon. "There are no complaints either from the corporators or citizens. The water works department, Pench project cell and OCWL will carry out works and ensure restoration of water supply within the announced time period," he said.
The OCWL had already declared that water would not be supplied through tankers or any other means in the affected areas. Water supply to the 15 overhead water tanks, which releases water to East and North Nagpur, and parts of South Nagpur, will be stopped during these two days.
Source - Times Of India (TOI).