Facility managers should assess which air pollutants their processes generate, and the possible hazards those chemicals offer, when deciding whether to utilize a wet scrubber or not.
Wet scrubbers are good for eliminating a wide variety of air pollutants. Let us discuss about which pollutants a wet scrubber can eliminate.
Which pollutants can a wet scrubber eliminate?
Specific airborne contaminants can be controlled via a wet scrubber. To reduce the environmental effect and human safety issues, industries that emit such pollutants should consider adopting wet scrubbers.
They can aid in the reduction of any of the following air pollutants:
1. Fumes, Vapours, and Gases of Inorganic Composition
Wet scrubbers are used in many sectors to reduce airborne pollutants, vapours, and gases. If large amounts of these inorganic pollutants enter the atmosphere, they can create environmental disturbance and adverse health impacts.
Some of the most dangerous air pollutants are among the inorganic gases, which a wet scrubber can remove from the air, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Some of the most frequent contaminants are:
- Sulphur dioxide.
- Chromic acid.
- Hydrogen sulfide.
2. Organic Volatile Compounds
A wet scrubber may also clean the air of volatile organic pollutants. VOCs are man-made chemicals that are formed during various manufacturing processes, including those employed in the production of paint, medicines, and refrigerants. They become caught in specific solids or liquids and eventually escape into the atmosphere.
Some VOC compounds can have serious acute and long-term health consequences. VOCs are produced during the manufacture of the following materials:
- Industrial cleaning supplies.
- Pest control solutions.
- Building materials.
- Paint strippers.
A wet scrubber can assist in reducing industrial VOC concentration, resulting in safer and cleaner air.
3. Particulate Matter
Particulate matter, which includes a wide variety of solid particles and liquid droplets, is another type of air pollutant. Some are visible with the naked eye, while others are microscopic.
PMs can range in size from 10 micrometres to 2.5 micrometres or less. Given a size of 10 micrometres or less, PMs can be any of the following:
Since, PMs are so diverse, their sources and degrees of hazard differ. When breathed, some PMs can cause health problems; if small enough, they can even enter the bloodstream. PMs, in significant numbers, can produce haziness and decreased visibility.
Because, of these harmful impacts, controlling PM amount is an important part of reducing air pollution. Therefore, wet scrubbers can aid in the removal of PMs from the air.
4. Dangerous Air Pollutants
Hazardous air pollutants, often known as toxic air pollutants, have been shown or suspected to have serious health consequences. They have the potential to cause cancer, birth abnormalities, and other problems. The following are some examples of HAPs:
- Benzene: Benzene is a carcinogen found in gasoline. It is colourless or light yellow in colour and has a sweet odour. It is very flammable and swiftly evaporates. Internal cells malfunction as a result of inhaling or swallowing benzene. It can limit the ability of bone marrow to create enough red blood cells, resulting in anaemia.
- Perchloroethylene: This pollutant is released into the air by some dry cleaning businesses. Perchloroethylene cleans and degreases metal in metalworking operations. It has a nice odour and is colourless and non-flammable. High-level exposure can cause nervous system breakdown, which can result in unconsciousness or death.
- Methylene chloride: Dichloromethane, also known as methylene chloride, is a solvent and paint stripper. This chemical is used in a variety of industries. It's colourless and sweet-smelling, just like perchloroethylene. Cancer, asphyxia, and cognitive damage may result from exposure.
Because, HAPs have proved to be hazardous, keeping them out of the atmosphere is critical for public health and safety. By eliminating harmful contaminants from the air, wet scrubbers help to keep the environment safe.
How can we assist?
Netsol Water provides service for Wet Scrubbers that require maintenance or retrofit. Our dedicated technical service section can repair or upgrade any make, model, or kind of industrial Wet Scrubber system.